Yuma, Arizona

Tuesday 28th February 2017

We have camped in Yuma for the last month.  Across the border in Mexico is Los Algodones.   A little town where Americans and Canadians flock for dental work and prescription refills.  Dean got a filling and checkup for $50.  He also splurged and treated himself to a $3 haircut.


After all that excitement it was time for a walkabout and snag a few shrimp and fish tacos.img_9375   img_9376

Here in the Southwest they have extremely hard water.  There are water stations everywhere that delivers reverse osmosis/mineral free/soft water.  This one has a “pump your own,” salt free water for 25 cents a gallon or 5 gallons for a dollar.  We have a dedicated marine water filter in our motorhome that divvies up pure tasteless drinking water, which is handy as we have come across some really poor water sources in our travels across the country.


We entered our first mixed doubles pickleball tournament.  I was nervous as Dean is a much better player than me.  However, he was a good sport, even though we didn’t win we had a good time with plenty of games.


According to the Guinness World Records, Yuma is the sunniest place on earth with sunshine 91% of the year.  Looks like we snagged a bit of the other 9%.


Yeah! back to the 91% sunny.  The great result from the rain is the desert is starting to bloom.

img_9440 img_9435


We coughed up $10 each for the entry fee to Castle Dome Mines Museum.  This place has a wildlife refuge on one side and a military bombing area on the other. That’s the desert in the middle of nowhere for you.  This place was actually very interesting.  50 buildings show the history of silver mining in the area.

img_9479        img_9447

There were plenty of vehicle husks.  I took a seat in the schoolhouse.

img_9504        img_9451

Then Dean had to get waaay to friendly with the teacher.  I had to put him in the slammer  as punishment and he started patting a skull. Oh deary me!

img_9455               img_9474

Maybe pumping some fuel would get him back on the straight and narrow.

img_9466          img_9468

This building is covered from ceiling to floor with war veterans signatures. Dean found a tiny spot to put his name and rank. He did a stint in Vietnam.


There must have been 50 plus saws in this display.  Plus the sharpening stuff below.  I really liked the all the meticulous woodwork that went into making the wheel.

img_9475 img_9515

This surveillance drone/air ballon was parked, but we have seen them in the air around the area.  Not sure if it’s for training or actual surveillance.  We are close to the Mexican border.


I just turned 65 yesterday which was the biggest excitement this month.  One small reason is, I like birthdays that end in a 0 or 5 as I can easily remember how old I am.  The best reason is MEDICARE.  For my non American family and friends this is actually socialized medicine that Americans get when they turn 65. No more huge health insurance premiums with  massive deductibles. I am under the governments wing, so I pay small and get big.  I love being 65.


On to Phoenix tomorrow.







This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Yuma, Arizona

  1. Gus Gundersen says:

    Welcome to the Medicare community Rose and happy birthday! Always enjoy your excellent adventures with Dean. See u 2 this summer ?

  2. melvin kirkwood says:

    Sure was a good money saving event! Also looks like the temps are very friendly! This has been a very nice winter for sure, i just hope the summer is as nice with cooler than normal temps. Hope to see you soon.

  3. Tom Laidlaw says:

    Hi guys

    So where are you staying in Phoenix? Are you back in Gold Canyon? We are at Towerpoint in Mesa on Main St between Higley and Greenfield. Love to see you. We would even submit to a drumming by you guys at pickleball. We are playing lots of tennis, but no pickleball yet this year.

    So you even managed to get wet in Yuma. I am starting to think that you guys may be the cause. Were you not in California recently……

    See you soon.

    Tom & Jan


  4. Tom Laidlaw says:

    Forgot to mention – We have very good friends here at Towerpoint that are active hikers. He is now coordinating the hikes by the hike club here. He knows lots of excellent hikes and would be a great one for you guys to meet.


  5. 2akwileys says:

    Belatef Happy Birthday.  Thank you for having us along on your journey.  We are having a great ride. Stop by when you come north again. 

    Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  6. What an adventure you two are having – thanks for sharing! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.